Tuesday, 22 November 2011

What steps can be taken to stop? Why would these work?

The act, technique, or profession of fighting with the fists, with or without boxing gloves.
As I previously stated I do not believe that boxing can be stopped. It is something people will always engage in. I am in no ways my self a pparticipant of boxing but I can fully understand why people participate in all combat sports whether that be boxing, MMA, jiu jitsu or even karate. A lot of people believe that knowing how to fight is essential and that fits into the whole survival of the fittest idealogy.


     However, if we are trying to stop the amount of boxers or MMA combatants is to nip the roots of the sport at the bud. The best way of doing that would be not allowing children up until they are a certain age to box, make it illegal (which will never happen due to huge revenue streams the fight produces for the state or province) or just educate young fighters more about the risk.


     Although I am able to see why the sport is dangerous, we must also look at the opportunities it has afforded young men, especially those fighting to climb out of poverty like Mike Tyson or Manny Pacqaio have done. Instead of trying to get rid of it I say we make it safer. Some of these include the use of headguards for all fighters, something professionals do not use, regular brain scans of all participants to catch early signs of severe brain damage, health care insurance for all semi-professional boxers in the USA, and reducing padding on the boxing glove.


     Why reduce padding on the glove? Well it may not seem this way but the MMA gloves fighters wear are way more safe than the traditional boxing glove. Since boxing gloves spread the impact of a blow, the recipient of a punch is less likely to be blinded, have their teeth knocked out or their jaw broken. However, gloves do not lessen the force applied to the brain as it rattles inside the skull from a heavy blow. In fact, they make matters worse by adding 10oz to the weight of the fist. (Farrier, 2010)


     I believe making boxing more safe of a sport as well as any other combat sport is essential to making sure that these fighters do not suffer the risk of long term brain damage. Cuts, bruises, broken jaws, broken ribs and head injuries of lesser damage should be expected. However, a fighter should not have to deal with severe brain damage that ruins their lives later on. Most boxers are destroying a third of their life in order to have a good 10-20 year career. And I don't believe the reward outweighs the risk. 


No comments:

Post a Comment